For those who’ve but to tune into the White House’s day by day press briefings, one thing chances are you’ll not know is that they often characteristic Fox Information correspondent Peter Doocy asking inane questions that merely serve to additional fact-free Republican speaking factors, or complaining of discrimination as a result of the president didn’t name on him. On Tuesday, Doocy did get to pose a query to White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki, and he used his time to counsel that Main League Baseball shouldn‘t have moved the All-Star Sport from Georgia in protest of the state’s new extremely restrictive voting regulation, i.e. conservatives’ bad-faith argument du jour. And, as is usually the case of a Doocy-style inquiry, Psaki was having none of it.
“Is the White House involved that Main League Baseball is transferring their All-Star Sport to Colorado the place voting laws are similar to Georgia?” Doocy requested, a query predicated on bullshit. To which Psaki responded, rhetorically stuffing the Fox Information correspondent in a locker: “Properly, let me simply refute the primary level you made. First let me say on Colorado, Colorado permits you to you register on Election Day. Colorado has voting by mail the place they ship to 100% of individuals in the state who’re eligible, functions to vote by mail; 94% of individuals in Colorado voted by mail in the 2020 election. In addition they enable for a variety of supplies to offer, even when they vote on Election Day, for the restricted quantity of people that vote on Election Day. I believe it’s necessary to recollect the context right here: The Georgia laws is constructed on a lie. There was no widespread fraud in the 2020 election. Georgia’s high Republican election officers have acknowledged that repeatedly in interviews. What there was, nevertheless, was record-setting turnout, particularly by voters of shade. As an alternative what we’re seeing right here for politicians who didn’t like the result is that they’re not altering their insurance policies to win extra votes, they’re altering the principles to exclude extra voters, and we definitely see the circumstances as totally different. Finally, although, it’s as much as Main League Baseball to find out the place they’re holding their All-Star Sport.”
Doocy, in fact, isn’t the one Republican making an attempt desperately to vary the story from “Georgia needs to disenfranchise Black and brown voters and even company America is disgusted” to “company America ought to thoughts its personal rattling enterprise.” On Monday, Senate Minority Chief Mitch McConnell warned that firms ought to shut their traps or will endure “penalties” for talking out. In the meantime, Senator Tim Scott has additionally adopted the (false) speaking level that Colorado is simply as dangerous as Georgia relating to voter legal guidelines:
Solely, as CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale notes, Colorado’s election legal guidelines are wildly totally different than Georgia’s, for causes that embody however are usually not restricted to the truth that:
- Colorado sends ballots to each lively registered voter, whereas Georgia voters should ship away for a poll, and “the Secretary of State and different officers are actually banned from even sending *functions* to everybody”;
- Georgia requires photograph IDs to vote, whereas Colorado lets folks use every kind of non-photo IDs, together with financial institution statements, payments, checks, and start certificates;
- Colorado retains its drop packing containers open 24 hours a day till the night time of Election Day, whereas Georgia’s now have to be inside, are solely out there throughout early voting hours, and are closed the Friday earlier than Election Day;
- Colorado lets folks register to vote on Election Day, whereas the deadline in Georgia is roughly 5 weeks earlier than Election Day;
- Colorado campaigns can provide out meals and drinks to folks standing in line to vote so long as they‘re not sporting particular candidate/occasion swag; Georgia now prohibits giving out meals or drinks to voters with 25 ft of the road, except for self-serve water set out by election employees.
In different phrases, no, Colorado’s voter legal guidelines are usually not as restrictive as Georgia’s—not by an extended shot—and anybody arguing they’re is making an attempt to distract from the truth that Georgia would like that solely white folks vote. Anyway, you should definitely tune in for the subsequent press briefing in which Doocy asks a query like, “Does President Biden agree that the present COVID disaster is his fault and his fault alone as a result of he’s the president?” and Psaki disembowels him on stay TV.
If you want to obtain the Levin Report in your inbox day by day, click on right here to subscribe.